Thursday, December 30, 2010

"Retrospective Thought"

New Years Eve is my favorite day of the year. Truthfully, I enjoy New Years more than I enjoy my birthday. New Years is my type of holiday. It celebrates something that is so important to me: resolution. To me, resolution is something that is truly beautiful. To be able to come to a resolution shows reflection, thought, courage, power, drive, and strength. I guess I try to live everyday like its New Years. I'd rather live my life constantly seeking improvement and acknowledging all the "resolutions" I want to make in order to become the person I want to be. I'd rather look back on my life day to day, then look back at my life when I'm 80 wishing I did all the things I never did or make all the changes I never made.

OK, with that said, 2010 has been quite the year. I think in some ways its been the best, but hardest year of my life (though I'm not sure that a year I found easy would ever be my favorite). All the challenges of this year have led me to discover a lot about myself: my dreams, strengths and weaknesses, interests, passions, good and bad habits. There were two important lessons I had to learn this year. The first being that sometimes things will not always go the way I want them to (no matter how much I want it, I may need something else). The absence of what I think I want, may teach me exactly what I need to learn. The second lesson was that I choose my happiness. I can desperately hope or wait for happiness and never find it, but if I wake up in the morning with the intention of having a beautiful day, I will create happiness.

I learned these lessons over the course of the year, but they really hit home when I started doing Yoga. I'd like to take a quick moment to give a shout out to Breathe Yoga Studio in Pittsford, NY. If you ever have the chance to practice there, GO. It is truly incredible. Back to the blog...I'd done yoga here and there before this year, but had never really integrated it into a part of my life. I could go on and on about why I love yoga and what it has done for me this year but instead I'll just make a list: strength, power, acceptance, peace, happiness, love, gratitude, light. I guess those are the things I think of when I think of yoga.

So putting this into practice at school this past semester I've found that I'm much happier, more outgoing, and more at peace. When I left for school in August my mom gave me a mug with a quote that reads something along the lines of "Peace is not the absence of hard work and challenges. It is to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." I guess this is another one of the mantras that I've tried to stick to this year.


To sum it up in brief, this year taught me how to be strong, to create happiness, and to be at peace.


Tomorrow I'm heading up to Vermont to celebrate with friends. Can't wait to bring in the New Year. Hears to another great year :)

"And you asked me what I want this year
and I try to make this kind and clear
just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
'cause I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
and designer love and empty things
just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So take these words and sing out loud
'cause everyone is forgiven now
'cause tonight's the night the world begins again"

"Better Days" - Goo Goo Dolls

No comments:

Post a Comment